It’s Beginning to Look Like School!
We hope you are enjoying the final days of summer. If you’re like us, you’re starting to think about the start of the school year and getting your children ready to head back to school. We are here to help as you think about what is next for your child in their educational planning.
We are excited to announce that, after over 15 months of virtual meetings, we are back in the office, meeting with families in person. It feels great to be back. We are scheduling both in-person and virtual meetings depending on your preference. Call us today to get more information!
Mark Your Calendars for Education Connection Advisors’ Upcoming Events!
Life After Preschool
Tuesday, October 5th at 9:30am
We are hosting this virtual event with Northside Methodist Preschool and it is open to any families of preschool age children. This event is not just for families applying to private schools. Psychologist, Dr. Clare Rubin will also join us to discuss child development and the JATP. Check out our September newsletter for registration information.
“Navigating the Admission Process” Panel
Tuesday, October 19th at 9:30am
This virtual event will include panelists from Atlanta area independent schools, who will be discussing various topics about the admission process, including:
Recommendations & Rounding Out Your Application
The Admission Process for 2021-2022
Stay tuned for more information regarding how schools will be approaching this admission season. We are hopeful that there will be more opportunities for in-person events this year, but schools are still working on their plans and we will know more soon.
Thinking About the Year Ahead:
As we head back into (hopefully) a more “normal” year, we encourage parents to think about what they may want to hold onto from the slower pace of the last 16 months. As parents, we tend to overschedule and overprogram. We are trying to make more room for play this year in our children’s lives and our own!
The following resources have been helpful to us in thinking about the value of unstructured time and the space for kids to play and create. If you have other ideas and information about this topic, please send them our way.
- The Power of Play: Learning What Comes Naturally
- “A Packed Schedule Doesn’t Really Enrich Your Child” (New York Times)
- “The Importance of Play: How Kids Learn By Having Fun” (Healthline)
Facts About Our Team at Education Connection Advisors:
- We have more than 60 years of combined experience in the education field.
- We have been teachers, counselors, admission directors, administrators and athletic coaches.
- We have helped over 1000 families with their education concerns regarding school placement and planning.
- We believe in public schools. We believe in private schools. We believe that you have to know and understand a family in order to help them. We want to know about you.
- We work as a team because we believe that understanding your family takes time and knowledge.
- We have placed children in preschool, elementary, middle and high school, both day and boarding school. Now we are also working with a wonderful college consulting group to help you with the steps beyond high school.
- We meet with parents about their educational worries, such as how to get their child to read, performance in school, not working to potential and even making meaningful friendships.
- We have the educational resources to get families to the specialists they need, whether psychologists, occupational therapists, speech therapists, or even a doctor or psychiatrist.
- We are confidential, trusted and respected.
If you have an educational worry, we are here to help you. We build relationships with families and we care. We work with you, your child and the school. Our goal is to create a partnership with everyone involved, in order to find the best fit for your child.
We hope we can help you this year.
Barbara Levy, Fontaine Draper and Betsy Metcalf
Education Connection Advisors